17 October 2024

More Pastiche - Lee Newman

This follows a previous entry under this heading and while time has moved on from that entry, the purpose is still the same. When one of our quilting group of friends suffers the death of a loved one, then those who wish will do something with a 6.5” block - what is done is different for each situation.

In this case, our blocks are following the death of one of our members, Lee Newman. Lee had 2 daughters and it was agreed that instead of one quilt, we would present each daughter with something - maybe a knee-rug size?

Our instructions this time was to incorporate one of Lee’s passions in life into the block. These included her faith, her love of singing, her love of sewing and embroidery and her passion for the charity of Samaritan’s Purse, who provide a shoe box full of gifts to children in disadvantaged areas of the world.

Recently, my best mate in life (AKA husband) and I went through a couple of shelves in our Linen Press and decided to downsize big time! I think we put aside about ⅔ of what was on those shelves! In the mix were doilies and 2 in particular caught my eye - as they were both tatted - not by me - but tatted all the same. I couldn’t bring myself to get rid of them - well, not yet anyway!

And within a couple of weeks, news came of Lee’s death and the subsequent 6.5” block request - but this time, there were 2 blocks! Perfect! I would stitch these doilies on to the blocks, as they were a perfect fit. Job done!


Block #1


Block #2

No comments:

Post a Comment