17 October 2024

My Amish Quilt

In 2017, my best mate (AKA my husband) and I went on a holiday to the Northern Hemisphere, taking in a cruise along the way. The cruise was from New York City to Quebec, Canada; and while in North America, we took a detour to visit friends from our Egypt days, who were then living in Cleveland, Ohio. While in Cleveland, they offered to take us to an Amish community nearby. I jumped at the opportunity, not even realising that the Amish lived in Ohio - how ignorant was I???

Being a quilter, I knew all about the Amish and their quilts. Their reputation is global. I could hardly wait. The drive took only about an hour and I spent ages in one shop in particular, chatting with the staff about all sorts of things and in the mix the conversation included patchwork and quilting. I bought a panel of Amish-related pictues (if that’s the right word for it); and then pondered on what to do with said panel.

Eventually, I decided to leave the pictures as they were but I would embroider just ONE part of each picture. And then what? More thinking time ensued until I decided on what you see below.



As can be seen, this is still a flimsy (not yet made into a quilt). I may yet add some borders to it - it's there awaiting my next spurt of energy. I have not embroidered the pictures, except for one piece, maybe a fence, or a roof line but I wanted to leave the Amish blocks as I bought them.





No comments:

Post a Comment