17 October 2024

Coptic Crosses and Thread Drawings

We lived in Egypt for several years in the early 2000s and during that time, we saw much of the country - from the bustling streets of Cairo to far-flung villages. We attended many Coptic Orthodox churches and learnt much about their rich history and heritage.

I was fascinated by the many forms of crosses we discovered everywhere and took photos whenever I found another one.


From those photos, I selected 12 which form the foundation for this quilt-cum-wall hanging.




In addition to the crosses, I also designed some fabric art using a needle and thread - I'm not sure what I'll do with them - I've had many ideas and plans for both the crosses and thread-drawings but thus far, they are still sitting in a box in my sewing room.


No comments:

Post a Comment