26 May 2019

Rachel's 21st Quilt

I wanted to make Rachel a quilt for her 21st but what to make - what design to choose? After much thought, I decided on a Temperature Quilt - and so I set about doing the research on it. First, I had to find the daily maximum temperatures for each day of her birth year and then calculate how I would "display" them - I settled on a colour for collections of temperatures (in celsius). They being:


a)  10-11-12 = ice blue
b)  13-14-15 = light blue
c)  15-17-18 = medium blue
d)19-20-21 – darker blue
e)  22-23-24 = light green
f)  25-26-27 = medium green
g)  28-29-30 = darker green
h)  31-32-33 = yellow
i)   34-35-36 = light orange
j)  37-38-39 = darker orange
-->
k)40-41-42 = red

However, I needed another 9 rectangles to complete the set. Problem solved - I chose fabric with musical notes on them in a light shade of white/grey and I placed them at strategic points on the quilt - the birthdays of herself, her siblings and her parents, but because I still needed another 3 placements, I chose New Year's Day, ANZAC Day and Christmas Day coz on each of these days music is played - think about it! And so the quilt below has the 365 days of Rachel's birth year, plus these extras to complete it.



What to do on the reverse side? Her mother (my cousin) suggested that Rachel's favourite colours at the moment were black, grey and white with a splash of colour - and so that's what I did on the reverse - exactly that!



No comments:

Post a Comment