29 December 2009

Crochet

Photo: my doily, which took me eons to make but I was determined to finish it and finish it, I did!!!

My late Mother-in-Law patiently sat with me as I struggled with the mix of crochet hook, cotton and fumbly fingers, as I was learning those first stitches of chain, double and treble crochet. I stuck with these basic stitches for ages; and at the same time learning through trial and error the differences between 5-ply, 8-ply, 12-ply and 14-ply. I still remember proudly making my first knee rug - using all of these ply's in the same rug - and more, if they were available, at the time. My M-I-L started me off with the basic square which took me all of 2 or 3 rows to have it totally skewed out of shape - but she patiently helped me to re-make the square before it took on a life of its own - and what else could have happened to it with all these ply's each working against each other. However, I finally finished the rug & then immediately set to make another - this time, using only the same ply - and what a difference it made! My square stayed as a square and I was delighted. From that shaky beginning, I went on to "master" the hook... and then... gave it up - swapping them for some knitting needles... ...

No comments:

Post a Comment